We suggest the Top 10 Experiences of Spring
When you’re considering a getaway, Spring in the Adirondacks offers a host of unique things to do! Hudson River white water rafting, shopping, dining, and golfing are just a few reasons why The Fern Lodge Adirondack hotel ranks among one of the most exclusive and sought-after locations for romantic getaways and honeymoons in Upstate NY!
- Take a Guided White Water Rafting Trip– Down the majestic Hudson River for a truly memorable Adirondack experience. It’s an all-day trip with wetsuit and light lunch on the river and a well-deserved buffet back at the Base Camp. We’ll be happy to take care of the reservations – $95/person. Beaver Brook Outfitters
- Horseback riding – go over hill and dale on horseback at The Circle B Ranch in nearby Chestertown. Lovely open fields and woods. Check out Main Street Ice Cream for lunch (or just ice cream!) afterwards. Don’t forget to check out the really nice gift shop upstairs.
- Take a Brewery Tour, visit Paradox Brewery up in Hudson, Bolton Landing Brewing Co in Bolton Landing, and the Adirondack Winery and The Adirondack Pub and Brewing Co in Lake George and Davidson’s, Coopers Cave, Northway Brewing Co and Mean Max all in Glens Falls.
- Take a day trip up to Lake Placid- Lake Placid is a beautiful one-hours drive north. Home of the 1932 and 1980 Olympics, you’ll find a multitdate of activities to enjoy here! Window shop down Main Street, stop for lunch at any number of great luncheon spots, tour the Olympics Sports Center, go to the top of the ski jumps and watch the ski jumpers or ariel freestyle skiers practice or compete. Check out the luge or bobsledding, even take a bobsled ride yourself. Save room for a piece of pie at The Noonmark diner in Keene Valley or a tasting and tour at Paradox Brewery in Hudson at Exit 29.
- Take a Spring Safari-Let us arrange a local Naturalist/Licensed guide to take you on a personalized back -country tour on snowshoes or just a hike for a once in a lifetime experience! Or learn to fly-fish with a pro in a unique picturesque water location personally planned for your level of experience and enthusiasm. See the area from the local point of view. A few winter safari businesses that we recommend include Adirondack Mountain and Stream, Rustic Homestead and Beaver Brook
- Shop Till You Drop! Check out the multitude of outlets at Exit 20…. Or if you prefer the more rural independent options; check out …. Hudson River Trading Co in North Creek, Rustic Designs and Miss Hestors (above Main St Ice Cream) right here in Chestertown, Clen’s Collectibles is in Riparius is another not-to-be-missed along with the Scenic Outlook Studios (sculpture and lots more!). Another favorite of mine is the Riverside Gallery in Warrensburg. In North Creek, Hudson River Trading Co has great Adirondack Housewares, Furniture, Gifts , Books and Clothes
- Take a Walk Right Here- Walk out the front door and enjoy our trail system – it’s quiet and beautiful – you’ll be delightfully surprised to find some fresh green poking out! The Town maintains a group of hiking trails collectively called “The Chester Challenge” that are short hikes with great view within just a few minutes drive!
- Foodies Unite! In addition, the area offers many Farmers Markets, and some very special “foodie” high points; do a “Chocolate Experience” at Barkeater Chocolates or just stop by for some samples. Oscar’s, our local smokehouse, is nationally renowned for their smoked meats and cheeses. Nettle Meadow Goat Cheese Farm is an interesting tour to see the goats and the cheese making. Their chevre is nationally known for its mild flavor but our favorite is the Three Sisters. On your way home, be sure to stop at Jacobs and Toney Butcher shop, Meat Store of the North. Pick up some special cuts of meat AND great snacks for the ride home! In March, nearby Thurman showcases a plethora of Maple Farms and their “Adirondack Gold” (maple syrup)!
- Experience Downtown Glens Falls-There are numerous small galleries; and don’t miss the very unique mix of galleries and shops at the Shirt Factory Artists and Shops at 71 Lawrence St. In downtown as well there are two museums; The Chapman Historical Museum is a local museum that is really excellent and should not be missed. www.chapmanmuseum.org . The Hyde Museum has a world-class collection of European/American masters, including works by Rembrandt, Rubens & Renoir in an 18th century Florentine villa. Changing exhibits in galleries throughout the complex.
- Go Golfing!-There are numerous golf courses in the area that range from very “local” courses (www.croninsgolfresort.com, www.greenmansionsgolf.com) to the famed Donald Ross course at The Sagamore www.thesagamore.com. It’s great golfing in the spring – the weather is fantastic and the scenery is magnificent!
- Get a Massage and Take a Nap- Have a licensed massage therapist come right to your room, enjoy a massage followed by a nap. Spend the rest of the day lounging here in front of one of the many fireplaces, reading a book with a good bottle of wine.
Learn More About Other Seasons in the Adirondacks
Guest Rooms & Rates
Our luxury Adirondack lodging includes a choice of five intimate guest rooms that are uncommonly comfortable – both rustic and elegant.
Read just a few of our many guest reviews. We are happy that our guests enjoy our Adirondack lodge as much as we do.
Summer / Fall Packages
Relax and enjoy Adirondack lakeside living this summer with the stunning beauty of the rustic surroundings.