Choosing a Baker and Planning Your Adirondack Wedding Cake
Finding the right baker for your dream wedding cake and then selecting your cake design can be a daunting process when planning a wedding, but it’s important to do your homework and make smart choices. With some added research and careful inquiry, you’ll help ensure that your wedding cake is perfect for your Adirondack wedding event and tastes delicious.
There are some important details to decide and numerous questions to ask when choosing a baker and wedding cake for your Adirondack wedding. Pastry Chef Melissa DiPasquale of Belle Dolci offered the following key questions to ask when choosing a bakery/pastry chef to order your wedding cake:
- Ask for a “Highlight Reel”: Does the bakery/baker/pastry chef have a portfolio of past wedding cakes they’ve done, that you can see? Hopefully, it’s available online.
- Tasting is Believing: If your meeting with a baker does not include a tasting, find out if there is a tasting event you can attend, to sample that baker’s work.
- Get References: Sure it’s old-school, but you can never go wrong asking your potential baker to provide you with a couple of references. And once you get those references, make sure you actually check them!
- Find the Flexibility: Before you go crazy planning your own unique design, find out if your prospective baker create a custom cake. They may only offer a set amount of designs which you must choose from.
- If You Can’t Buy, Mimic: If you are on a tight budget, but have expensive tastes, there may be some creative compromises. Ask your potential baker if there are certain styles that can be adapted to suit your needs.
- Don’t Forget to Accessorize: Ask your baker if they provide wedding cake toppers, wedding cake stands, tiers, fountains and cutters. Does your baker offer them for rent, or purchase? Or will you need to provide your own?
- Going Floral?: If you want to use fresh flowers as a decoration on your wedding cake, make sure to ask your baker about who will procure them, and where they will be coming from. Don’t forget to ask in advance how much the flowers will cost, and if that’s included in your baker’s bill for the cake, or an added fee.
- What’s in the Mix?: Ask prospective bakers about which ingredients they use. What kind of icing do they recommend for your wedding cake? Try a sample, to be sure you like it.
- Brass Tacks: Ask each prospective baker about how their cakes are priced. By the slice? By the diameter? Are there additional fees for fillings, details, or designs? Will the baker provide a proposal/estimate or confirmation for your own design?
- The Hand-Off: On the big day, who will deliver? Ask if there is an additional delivery charge. And will the delivery person be able to arrange the cake table and make any emergency repairs?
At The Fern Lodge in the heart of the Adirondacks, our Elopement Package includes a 6-inch round cake with choice of flavors and frosting, and basic buttercream decorations. It is simple to order and is delivered here. You are also always more than welcome to add a filling or upgrade your design for an additional fee, which would be added to your stay total and billed by The Fern Lodge.
For special orders, pastry chef email@example.com">Melissa DiPasquale of Belle Dolci will contact you. Her specialty is personalizing your cake; check out her incredible fondant works of art! She may be reached by phone at (518) 538-7574.
***Planning an Adirondack elopement or a larger wedding event? Let The Fern Lodge be your destination. Check out our Elopement Package and our Elopement FAQs on our website or call us today for more information. We’d love to help make your wedding an unforgettable day!